How to market & advertise your computer repair business

23Zander

I have completed my college degree 2 years ago and was working as a sales assistant at Dell. I have always been interested in computers, so that job was to save up enough to start my own business. I have started my computer repair company around 2 weeks ago and I'm looking for the best ways to market our company. I would like to know what strategies work best for someone in this field.

thanks. have a great day!

G

Greg

The first place you should think of while marketing your business is your own locality. With so many people opening up their computer businesses, there is bound to be a lot of competition. A lot of people have told me that they really don’t know whom to trust, since a lot of these techs charge hefty sums, but don’t really do anything useful during the repairs.

So, your best bet would be to talk to local people who trust you, do their work properly and once they are happy with your services, ask them to recommend you to their friends or family. You can have little rewards or discounts for people who give you good leads.

You could also have someone go to everyone in your neighbourhood and talk about your services. He/she can ask the customers to give you a call to discuss the details and pricing.

K

KY

I would suggest that you should really invest in the social media platforms. You can either hire a company, or do it yourself.

The 2 most significant platforms are-

Facebook-most of the people are on FB, which will allow you to be visible to a lot more people.
LinkedIn-the top authorities of almost all companies can be found here. If you are looking for corporate customers, these authorities are the decision makers for everything.

You can invest a small amount in hootsuite and schedule your posts for both these platforms. You can also monitor your customer engagement and analyze what works and what doesn’t.
All the best!

T

Trevion

I started my computer repair business around 10 years ago and I've been where you are now. Our field is just so competitive, that if you don’t have a very effective marketing strategy, you are going to be wasting a lot of money.

We have tried a lot of forms of marketing including joining the local chamber of commerce, pairing up with other local services, flyers, local ads. Most of it was ineffective. The thing that worked the most for us was sending direct mails, writing articles in local magazines or newspapers, but the most important thing that worked for us was publicity through word of mouth. When people start trusting you and your company, they feel more comfortable while recommending you to others.

Also, see what additional service you can offer as a complimentary service for purchasing a service worth some X amount. It can be virus scanning, free configuration of a certain software, PC tuning, etc.

Also, I tend to give out a lot of free advice when people ask for it. Sometimes, it even meant that I direct them to my competitors. Eventually, this led to a lot of people and companies coming to me.

kylie

kylie

I think that before you think about ‘marketing’, you should think about the ‘brand’. This is important, since your clients need to see some persuasive reason to choose your company over the other players. You really don’t want to compromise on your price just because some other company is offering it at a lower price than yours. If you have some additional value to your ‘brand’, people won’t mind paying that little extra for better service. And branding is not just about visuals or an attractive logo. It also includes your values, ethics, extra additions, etc.

V

Vance

You should first find out who your target demographic is, then research on that demographic and then work with your marketing agency to find out what ways of marketing really work for that target group. You should not devise any strategy before you do this research. I get a lot of clients who tell me that their marketing strategies never seem to work. When I dig deeper, I find that they haven’t really gone through this crucial and essential step. If you know your target clients well, you will automatically know what they need, thus helping you come up with marketing strategies that actually work.
If you need more help in developing your marketing strategies, feel free to contact me. Good luck!

charris89

charris89

I agree that one way of getting more customers is to really do something that makes you stand out from your competitors. Which of their needs are you fulfilling that others aren’t? The greater the number of differentiating factors you have, the more popular you will be. Once you come up with that, the next thing you need to do is identify your target audience. Based on that, you should come up with a message that really clicks with that audience, choose the right medium to deliver that message and you will have a marketing strategy that works! I hope this helps!

barack11

barack11

You should definitely think of having a strong content marketing strategy. You can have small blogs or articles giving useful information on basic topics like how to fix small computer issues at home, etc. You can also have visuals for facebook or instagram regarding such topics. This will help to build trust with your audience and they will eventually call you for their major computer issues.

You should also work on getting business through organic searches on search engines like Google, Bing, etc. Improving your rankings through an SEO strategy will help in increasing your visibility online. The best part is that content marketing and SEO are inter-related, so you can work on both the things simultaneously.

I wish you all the best. Do reach out if you have more questions.

D

dan_wilson

I mostly market my business through networking and by word of mouth. In addition, I do some pro bono work at charities and NGOs, and volunteer at their fund raisers and other events. This has surprisingly turned out to be a great way to connect with a lot of the right kind of people. These clients then keep referring their colleagues, neighbours, friends and family members. So most of my promotion comes from my existing clients.

T

technoguy

When you are providing a skilled service, people have to be able to find you easily. Be it Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc. So you have to make sure that you work on utilizing these platforms well and optimizing them to suit your target audience. Your website should also have a map of your location, so that people find it easy to locate you. You should also put your bio and a nice photo on your site. Knowing the face behind the brand makes it easy for people to connect with you and your brand.

You can also use physical branding/marketing material like big hoardings or a colourful sign on a building.

Once people actually contact you, you have to quickly and effectively explain to them why they should come to you.