Recruiting landscape employees: where to find & hire

R

Roy

We are finding it extremely difficult to find good employees and retain them every year. In this industry, it seems as though everyone is fighting for the same employees.. 🙁

We have tried every possible option that we could think of. Job fairs, LinkedIn, Facebook, Indeed.. We've done this all. We also tried staffing agencies, but as it turns out, they cannot provide laborers. We are getting really frustrated now. We have to keep doing the same thing each year..

Please help us with suggestions-where do you find your employees and what do you’ll do to retain them?

Thank you for your time!

G

graeme

This is quite a common issue. We generally look for people who are embittered with their current jobs in the construction or related industries and also people on H2B visas, however, we aren’t really sure how viable that option would be in the future.

You need to have your work and training system in sync, so that when you train a person, he becomes efficient as soon as possible and can start work. Their salaries are really at the high end of the industry standards for our area and we also offer various other benefits and perks. We ensure that the employees are well taken care of.

A

antony

We put our requirements on Craig’s list and in newspapers. The ones who are really interested in a job, work very hard and tend to stick around for long. It also helps if you give them various perks like a nice lunch or a gift card, so that they can take their family out as well.

We also give them good quality equipment and work gear and make sure that no one is over-worked.

E

edith

I don’t really think that I'll be able to help you. We are facing the same problem here and have tried all the options that you have mentioned, but without any luck. We were getting good people with Indeed, but now, even they don’t have any valuable resources. We have scheduled quite a few interviews, but have had more no-shows than ever. We just keep pushing along and hope that someday, something will surely work. We also tried NALP job board, but got nothing from there either. Maybe it could work in your area. Good luck!

homero

homero

Is your business seasonal? If it is, I would suggest that you think of just the present. I mean to say, don’t expect that the same people will stick around for all seasons. It’s just going to make you frustrated.. What I have seen is that most people come back for each season.

gmckee1985

gmckee1985

When I started out 10 years ago, I hired a young guy who was originally from Mexico, but had U.S. citizenship. I told him that I needed more guys to work in the company, so he got more from his hometown. They had to get a green card and a social security number. I gave him incentives for every good worker that he brought and he made sure that I got good dependable guys. I had 15 people by the end of 5 months in my landscaping business 😊 they work every day and do a great job. They go back to their homes once in two years in batches, which they work out amongst themselves. Of course, I pay them more than the average rate in our area, which has helped to retain them till date. They just really want to be paid and treated well. Good luck to you!

T

trustnoone1970

I do understand your frustration. It’s a different world than what we started out with. White collar education has made people have really high expectations. They just want to do labor-intesive jobs..

Add addictions, drugs, gadget addictions and you will really have a very small pool of laborers.

I don’t really have much to offer, but I can tell you that I really know how you must be feeling..

R

RAIGAN

I think that you should try taking your business to the next level by having something for every season and working all through the year. You can include snow removal as a part of your work as well. This will help in locking in the employees, since most of them are looking for a more stable flow of income. All the best!

Hillel

Hillel

One of my customers recommended a person and so far, he has been quite reliable and hard working.

The problem with our industry is that it’s not a very cosy and comfortable job and most of the young people today don’t want to go out of their comfort zone. With the media hammering things like ‘getting rich fast’, ‘easy way to make money’, etc., they really have no work ethics left.

P

Patricia46

You have to find ways to increase your income from clients, so that you can afford to pay more to your employees. Be different from your competitors. Offer services like low water consumption, use of graywater from shower or laundry, preventing storm water run off, etc. Make your services have some value additions so that the customers will be more than willing to spend more on you. I hope you get my point. Good luck!

T

Tuck1995

We get all of our people from different agencies. They tend to stick around if you have full time work. What works for us is that we don’t treat them like we are the boss. You just have to be cool and open with them and give them some freedom while working. This has worked well for us.

S

SyLvIa

We get ours from Craig’s list and also from recommendations by our current employees. We have them on a trial period of 3 weeks and then make them permanent. And instead of a flat rate, we pay them based on their experience. We give them earned bonuses twice a year and offer other benefits like a 30 min lunch break, snacks and drinks on the house, etc. We make sure that they don’t have to work more than 8 hours per day, except if there is any kind of emergency and if there is, we compensate it adequately. We offer them either a few hours off, or an option to encash those extra hours. They love this freedom, since they can decide what they need at that time. A good work culture, decent salary and most importantly, respect, is what makes them stay loyal to you.
I hope this helps!